Thursday, May 28, 2009

We're doing the Mediterranean


My close friend (and an amazing personal chef/caterer) and I are going on a trip to the Mediterranean - diet that is. Long touted by health gurus like Dr. Andrew Weil, it's simple to follow - for weight loss and maintenance, nutritional health and anti-inflammatory properties.

It's relatively low in meat products - except for healthy fish, free range chicken (and a bit of hormone free beef thrown in). Eat lots of fruits and vegetables from the rainbow (all colors), healthy fats (extra virgin olive oil, nuts, avocados) and whole grain, high fiber, non-refined carbohydrates.

What I'm discovering is that there's no contradiction between food that tastes good and food that's good for you. And what I used to think was willpower (how does she ignore that cheeseburger and fries on the menu in favor of a sesame salmon salad?) really isn't.

The better I feel from eating healthy and exercising in a variety of fun ways, the more I'm unwilling to give up that feeling for a junk food fest! By George I think I've got it.

And if this dyed in the wool junkaholic can do it - ANYONE can!

No comments: