Wednesday, April 15, 2009

4 Ways to Recharge Your Motivational Batteries

I received this comment on my blog recently.

"I am trying to become more organized and it is a daily awareness when I see papers piled, dust on the bureau, a messy area. I love to be organized and I love cleanliness...I have gotten lazy about staying on top of staying organized and keep waiting for the spirit to "move me". I am struggling with my energy to get organized and clean my house...which I know supports my life everyday."

Disorganization is more than just piles of stuff without a home. It's an expression of blockage in our lives - physically, mentally, and spiritually. And until we deal with the "why to" we won't ever keep up the energy to "how to." Clutter, whether it is in our homes, on our hips, or in our head is about feelings. It hampers how we feel about ourselves, our jobs, our social lives and our finances.

If you struggle with keeping up the energy to organize and maintain a healthy lifestyle - you're not alone. Life happens when you were making plans to declutter the house, work out 5 days a week and eat clean, nutritious meals 5 or 6 times a day. Suddenly you find yourself back in your rut wondering how you're going to get back on the life fitness horse. Here are 4 ways to re-charge those motivational batteries:

1. Focus on your RBGs (Really Big Goals). Identify what's REALLY important to you and use it to inspire you. Shallow goals won't keep you motivated for very long. What are you passionate about that you need a health, energy, and a fit lifestyle to maintain? Your business? Your family? Write down your RBG's and keep a copy with you to remind you what it's all about for you.

2. Start Doing instead of To Doing. To Do implies "ought to." There's no action behind it. In fact, our natural inertia and rebelliousness often flares up when we contemplate "To Dos." It means you've gone beyond thinking about it, but you aren't ready to take action. You're "fixing to do it", as they say down South. To Do something keeps us from committing to getting it done. Replace the To Do list with a Doing List. The Doing List motivates you to commit to a set of actions that you are taking right now, in the present. And the present is the only moment you have.

3. Do it afraid. We all make mistakes And our fear of making mistakes, which too often manifests as perfectionism and procrastination is teied up with our self-esteem. I know, I've been there. Perfectionism was "protectionism" for me. If I didn't finish a project, I could always say I was still working on it and not take the risk of what the outcome would be. It's sometimes safer not to make a decision, not to remove what's cluttering up our lives - or so our dark side will tell us. Not true! Be process oriented. Trust yourself and decide to decide. Regardless of the course of action you take, you'll be motivated and charged simply by taking that action.

4. Don't go it alone. There's strength in numbers so the saying goes and it is true. Join a mastermind group, hire a coach, or get yourself a clutter or work out buddy. Find a MeetUps Group. When you're tempted to stay on the couch (mentally or physically), you've got someone else to help you recharge your motivation.

Remember - baby steps taken consistently yield transformational results. Don't let fear and overwhelm sap your energy and keep you from living powerfully!

No comments: