Thursday, July 17, 2008

Workouts Alone Won't Keep You Healthy. . .

Fitness Quote from Life Fitness Blog:

"Far too many times over the next 12 to 15 years, it was brought to my attention that people who followed my exercise guidelines exactly but ignored their diet, their weight and their cigarette smoking had heart attacks at age 55."
- Kenneth H. Cooper

I loved this when I read it although I did have to read it a few times before it sunk in. I believe this is how many people view their fitness and how they think it should work. If they workout, they should lose weight. If they workout, they should be healthier. If they workout they should live longer. What they fail to “hear” is that exercise without proper nutrition and behavior modification when it comes to alcohol, smoking or drug use is not a fix all solution which will wipe the “unhealthy” slate clean. A proper lifestyle pattern of exercise, proper eating habits and preventive care - such as doctor visits and avoiding unhealthy behaviors is what extends the lifespan.

No comments: